Sunday, July 10, 2011

The start of a new adventure

My Grandma Adams
This is the original recipe book of my Grandma Adams. Grandma Adams is my mother's mother. She used to work in a library and loved using the typewriter as much as she could to type her items for her recipe book.
I recently took both of these books to Savannah and Paula Deen (Momma P) signed them for me. What a treasured memory. You guessed it...I bawled like a baby calf being weaned from her mother, as I stood and watch her fold her hands over my Grandmothers' cookbooks as if to absorb the love that flows from the fragile pages that were bound by a fragile binder.
This recipe book has all the stains from the dishes she had prepared and all the smells of the beloved "old". This book would never be replaced, but has been made to share among all that value the love from Grandma and her kitchen!


(Saying typed up on the front of the book)
"This is the beginning of a new day.
God has given me this day to use as I will.
I can waste it ---or use it for good, but what I do today
is important, because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving
in its place something that I traded for it.
I want it to be gain and not loss; good, and not evil;
success and not failure; in order what I shall not regret
 the price that I have paid for it."

I found this piece of paper floating inside of this recipe book and decided it should be on the very front.


First look inside my Grandma's second in command bible...

As you can see there as a lot that is packed into this book. Everything that is written in this book will be in red so it will be easier to understand what is being read.
--From left side of book, starting from top going to bottom--
EQUIVALENTS:
Dash or Speck...................Less than 1/8 tsp
3tsp.....................1 T.
4T....................1/4c.
5 1/3T.......................1/3c
8T...................................1/2c
10 2/3 T..........................................2/3c
12T...................................3/4c
16T.................................1c
2c...................................1 pint
4c............................1 quart
4 quarts.........................1 gallon
16oz. (dry measure)............................1 pound

Contents of Cans
Size                                       Average Contents
No. 1 1/2 flat........................1 cup
8oz.......................................1 cup
Picnic...................................1 1/4 cups
No. 300...............................1 3/4 cups
No. 1 tall..............................2 cups (1pint)
No. 303...............................2 cups (1 pint)
No. 2...................................2 1/2 cups
No. 2 1/2.............................3 1/2 cups
No. 3 cylinder......................5 3/4 cups
No. 10.................................12 cups (3 quarts)

THIS YEAR'S CREED:
I will talk health instead of sickness.
I will talk prosperity instead of failure.
I will carry Good News instead of bad news.
I will tell the cheerful tale instead of the sad
          tale.
I will mention my blessings instead of my burdens.
I will speak of the sunshine of yesterday and to-
         morrow instead of the clouds of today.
I will encourage instead of criticise.
I will be a friend to everyone.

Minimum Legal weight Per Dozen-- 
Large................24 ounces per dozen                         
 Medium............21 ounces per dozen                            
Small................18 ounces per dozen                            
 Once a little girl wrote:   
"Whenever I see a church 
   I stop to pay a visit. 
So when I am called up there                                                                                                                     The Lord won't say, "Who is it?"


Substituting Various Sizes of Eggs--
                                                  Small     Medium     Large
Number of whole eggs to fill a cup                          6             5            4
Number of egg whites to fill a cup                           9             8            7
Number of egg yolks to fill a cup                            19           17          14

The next page on the right of book:
 Live As You Pray:
I knelt to pray when day was done,
And Prayed, "O Lord bless every one:
Lift from each saddened heart the pain,
And let the sick be well again."
And then I woke another day
And carelessly went on my way.
The whole day long O did not try
To wipe a tear from any eye;
I did not try to share the load
Of any brother on my road;
I did not even go to see
The sick man just next door to me.
Yet once again when the day was done
I prayed, "O Lord bless every one."
But, as I prayed, into my ear
There came a voice that whispered clear,
"Pause, Hypocrite, before you pray:
Who have you tried to bless today?
God's sweetest blessing always go
By hands that serve Him here below."
And then I hid my face, and cried;
"forgive me, God, for I have lied;
Let me but see another day
And I will live the way I pray."






4 comments:

  1. This is so touching-thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bekah... This a wonderful treasure.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Carol Ann

    http://www.cwcafetoday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all so very much! I finally learned how to posts comments!
    Carol...going to your blog now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bekah! This is a beautifultribute to the women you love! Thank you for sharing your love and family memories with us. You are a pretty darn amazing writer. I can feel your love for your family in every word. I am so happy for RWOP because I got to meet you and now call you friend. Love you girl! I am in love with this blog! Proud of you :) ps. your cake rocks! Amazing work!!!...Let's talk soon:) xo Beth

    ReplyDelete